[ Please contact Travel Downunder for current Special Packages ]
New Zealand was made for independent travel. Green hills, neat towns, rugged coastline, bays, islands, volcanoes, geysers, rose gardens, horse races, trout streams, reverse-season skiing, and world-class mountains, it is all there.
Contact us. Let us help you plan a trip to suit your interests.
If you would like to book any of our pre-set plans, contact us for information.
- Discount Airfares
- Fares change too frequently to post here. For current prices contact us at Travel Downunder where we will be pleased to quote you the very best fares of the day.
Please include dates of travel, destination and origin cities, length of stay, whether travellers are adults, seniors, children. We will give you our lowest quote. If you want a business or first class quote, let us know.
- Auckland & Other City Hotel/Apartment Packages
- Auckland hotel plus harbour cruise or city tour is one example of the type of package we can customise for you. Christchurch hotel and TranzAlpine day tour, Queenstown hotel and Doubtful Sound day tour are others.
You can rely on New Zealand accommodation to be clean and well maintained. Motel rooms outside the cities normally include kitchens. A guest laundry is standard.
Why not let us know of your travel and tour needs and let us plan your package for you.
- Unique Lodges
- New Zealand offers a surprising array of Unique Lodges. Located in some of the most stunning surroundings, these retreats provide the discerning visitor with the best of international standard accommodation. Many are renowned for their cuisine.
Depending on whether your interests run to fishing near Wanaka or Taupo, golfing, wineries of Marlborough, farming in Otago, horseriding, fine country living, or relaxing in an attractive and peaceful setting, we can recommend a suitable lodge for you.
Bed and Breakfasts - Boutique Hotels
- Stay with local families in their homes. Bed and Breakfasts include moderately priced guesthouses, small private or boutique hotels, farmstays and homestays. Many are located near attractions. Others are secluded or off the beaten path. Packages from North America are often available and include airfare, car rental and B&B accommodation.
Contact us for the latest special packages.
- Marlborough, Hawkes Bay, and Other Wine Tours
- New Zealand wines have come of age. Their sauvignon blancs are among the best.
We can arrange a visit to the picturesque wine regions of Marlborough or Hawkes Bay and other lesser-known wine producing areas.
- Tramping or Trekking - New Zealand Style
- Milford Track and the Routeburn Walk are world-renowned. But they are only two of the many available treks. We know most of them. Some of New Zealand's most spectacular scenery, as depicted in "Lord of the Rings", can be seen on walks led by professional guides with a vast knowledge of the flora and fauna. All walking tracks require a reasonable level of fitness. Guided New Zealand treks are so popular it is important for us to book well in advance.
- Adventure Travel
- Abel Tasman by sea kayak and camp, Marlborough on a mountain bike, hiking or
climbing in Mount Cook National Park, bungy jumping, Bay of Islands sailing.
Cruise the Sub Antarctic Islands of Australia and New Zealand.
Let us use our experience to plan your adventure.
- Kaikoura whales and dolphins, giant Kauri forests, Stewart Island wilderness and kiwi,
Royal Albatross colony, penguins, wild seacoast and ancient rainforests of Lake Moeraki, we know the best seasons and where to go.
We can advise you where to see New Zealand's native birds.
- Garden Tours
- Springtime in New Zealand brings garden festivals with opportunities to visit private and
public Botanical gardens. Whether a community festival such as the Marlborough Garden Show, Taranaki Rhododendron Festival, or the larger Auckland Ellerslie Flower Show in November, we can book a private or group tour.
We can book a tour for your garden club.
- Uncrowded fairways on quality courses give golfers excellent playing conditions at reasonable prices.
We can book a golf tour or if you would like just an occasional game, we can tell you where visitors are welcome.
On quiet backroads a bicycle tour explores places tourists often miss. Usually a bicycle tour will combine some bus travel to maximise distance traveled and diversity of countryside.
- We can book a package at one of the established lodges where fishing with a local guide is the primary focus. Or we can tell you how to buy a license, where and when to go for that lake or stream trout.
- If gamefishing in the Bay of Islands is your goal, let us know.
- Skiing - During the Northern Hemisphere Summer
- If ski season never seems long enough, you can take your ski vacation between
July and September.
Packages are available for skiing a wide variety of terrain around North Island's
Mt. Ruapehu or in the scenic Southern Alps, using Queenstown or Wanaka as your base.
- Fly-Drive Packages by Car or Motor Home
- For the independent traveller there is hardly a better way to see New Zealand than to
drive yourself. The Kiwis (New Zealanders) do drive on the left side of the road. Generally roads are good and traffic is light. One lane bridges are common in rural areas and a farmer with his dogs herding sheep may block the road on occasion so relax and expect to take a bit longer than the signs suggest.
Save money with an airfare and car or motorhome rental package. Campervan sites are well maintained with good facilities.
- Coach Tours
Independent Coach Tours
- If you would like a tour and would like the flexibility to choose where you want to go, without the structure of a group tour, we can arrange an independent itinerary for you. Your coach driver will provide commentary en route. You can combine exploring alone with joining one or more coach tours.
Travel Downunder plans these independent itineraries through our wholesaler in Auckland. This way we take advantage of current exchange rates and you have a local contact in New Zealand for any local plans or changes.
- Escorted Coach Tours
- Travel Downunder sells a range of escorted New Zealand tours. If you prefer to travel with a group, escorted throughout by knowledgeable and helpful guides, we will be happy to discuss options.
We know the tour operators. Our prices take advantage of favourable exchange rates.
Let us know if you would like us to mail you a brochure.